Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Infancy Part Deux

The good news is that we are reliving the 8-month to 11-month stages. The bad news is that we are reliving the 8-month to 11-month stages. Let me explain.

Chemotherapy is a real hunger-killer. Between the nausea, the mouth sores and the general fatigue, eating becomes a luxury. Lillian has lost a couple of pounds since she started this ordeal and we consulted a nutritionist who gives this advice, "give her whatever she wants, whenever she wants; the higher the calories, the better." Yes, that is coming from a nutritionist! Picture us at the grocery store comparing labels looking for the highest caloric, highest fat foods. It seemed very backwards, I can tell you that. So how does that compare to her 8-month old experience? Many of these foods are new to Lillian. She was a very healthy eater prior to this so chips and hot dogs are very new. She likes some, she doesn't like others, just like her first introduction to solid foods. And also like her first introduction to solid foods, she spits out what she doesn't like. It's very important that we keep the weight on her to avoid a feeding tube.

As I've mentioned prior, sleeping has also become a luxury. The hospital has managed to transition her to a "big girl bed" for us. But Mom or Dad (usually Dad is requested) has to lay down with her until she falls asleep. I know, I know, that is a really bad habit, tell me about it. If only we knew! For naps, we find ourselves driving around the block to get her to fall asleep. Two nights ago Lillian slept straight through from 9pm to 6am. We woke up and looked at the clock amazed, just like we did when she was an infant.

I never thought I'd be so excited to see her crawl...again. But it really is amazing. Up until very recently, she hasn't had enough strength in her right arm to help support her body weight. Last week I bough a big parachute for her to play with since that was one of her favorite Gymboree activities. I set it on the floor and before I could pick her up she had crawled right on top of it. Since then she has been crawling everywhere. She is getting stronger everyday and her balance is improving so I know walking will be just around the corner. In the meanwhile, all of those baby-proofing activities that we have gotten so lazy about have been re-instituted. Cups of water are no longer left on the coffee table. Bathroom doors are closed once again. And Christmas decorations are sensibly placed with a correlation between fragility and height.

Like I said, we get the joy and pain of reliving those early milestones yet again, but this time she's 3 feet tall and talking. That adds a degree of complexity to many adventures.

We're nearly packed for our return to Doernbecher's tomorrow. She has a hearing test, a kidney test and blood work before being admitted for chemotherapy. If all goes as planned, we should be home Saturday or Sunday.

  • Pray that the tests go smoothly. The last hearing test was a bit of a nightmare, she was definitely not interested in having anything in her ears.
  • Pray that her appetite persists.
  • Pray that we can continue to keep her comfortable throughout the chemotherapy.
  • Praise for her improved strength.
  • Praise for good counts so that she could have visits from Grandpa, Auntie M, Nana and Papa. It's a nice change from just Mom & Dad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read your post on Claire Miller's site...we shall pray for your little one as well as Claire. May God be with you all.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to visit Lillian and see her bubbly personality is still in tact. It's a real credit to the care she gets from the two of you that she perseveres through everything and still has that fantastic little giggle that lights us all up. We're so proud of you all! Keep hanging in there. - Love, Nana & Papa

Anonymous said...

You ALL are truely amazing. It has been nice to read all your entries and see that you still have a sense of humor despite what you are going through. Great to hear she is crawling and using her right arm more!!
Don't worry at all about the food stuff or the sleeping arrangements :) The most important thing is that she is as comfortable as possible and eating something. Of course the behavioral psychologists I work with would disagree, but they are not living with it :) After moving to a big boy bed we totally understand the sleeping problems. We also fall asleep with Joshua many nights, but he is still been up 1-3 times a night. Scott was finally banished to sleeping on his floor to solve the issue (of course an even worse idea)! Now that he is out of town I have just gotten accustomed to only getting 1-3 hours of sleep a night in a row between the two kids. Needless to say you may be creating a problem, but it is much easier then dealing with a crying and unhappy child. You are all in our prayers!! And don't ever forget what a wonderful job you are doing! Enjoy the Ched, hopefully you will be home soon. I would love to stop by and see you all when I work, but I will keep my distance :) Love, Beth & family

Anonymous said...

You all are in my thoughts and prayers on a daily basis. I know Lillian is a very strong girl due to her amazing parents. I love that your humor is still there b/c it makes all the difference in recovery and healing. Best of luck this weekend.

Erin

Anonymous said...

Good luck with everything this weekend. I am thinking of you all and will continue to pray that Lillian will continue to regain her strength and appetite.I think a visit from family would be nice for all :)

Much love.
Amber

Unknown said...

Lillian looks beautiful like always. I like the pics it helps since I dont get to see her. I am happy to hear she is crawling again and that the right arm is better. I agree with the giving her what ever she wants theory she has the rest of her life to eat healthy. I miss you all deeply. Give Lillian a kiss for me. Oh yeah, Bryson says hi, well it is more like "coo" but I consider it a hi. love Maire